Thread: Set Network Interface Defaults

Just burned his ISO

Default Set Network Interface Defaults

Like many I had to learn to bring up my wlan0 adapter and then use Wicd to connect. I want to undo all my changes so that I can try it again. Is there a way to set my network settings back to factory default?

Default Re: Set Network Interface Defaults

Reboot for a live environment. Reinstall for a hard disk install. Remove the changes you made in either mode - delete entries in files, use commands that remove instead of add addresses, or that turn something off instead of turning it on. Its not exactly rocket surgery.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Its not exactly rocket surgery.

mom told me that i'd never grow up to be a rocket surgeon - she said that there aren't enough organic parts on a rocket. by stating this lupin, are you suggesting that rocket surgery is possible? where is the rocket surgeon school? i wanna go!

Quote Originally Posted by kiowa50161 View Post
    I want to undo all my changes so that I can try it again. Is there a way to set my network settings back to factory default?
    i don't think the devs work in a backtrack factory, but like lupin said, the only way to do this is to reboot if you were using a live boot or reinstall. since you're asking this question, i'm assuming that you haven't a clue what files you may have edited, so in your case i'd go with a full-on reinstall, and next time copy the files before you edit them, appending a .bak or .orig extension to them. comment out sections using a hash (#) instead of deleting them. maybe even take notes, for example:
    # 23-02-10: edited /etc/network/interfaces and added wlan1 with the following settings:
    # network ... netmask... gateway...
    # blah blah blah
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    mom told me that i'd never grow up to be a rocket surgeon - she said that there aren't enough organic parts on a rocket. by stating this lupin, are you suggesting that rocket surgery is possible?
    All the cool kids say its possible.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.