Thread: Space required?

Just burned his ISO

Default Space required?

I partitioned 8GB on my netbook hard drive for backtrack 4 Final. After installing BT4, I deleted some files off of an external hard drive and all of a sudden I get a "running low on disk space" error message. Which is odd, cause I had 50+ GB available on the external. I then checked the root system folder to see how much is used up. Out of 8GB, only 1.8 is available. Now, I have two questions...

first- How much space does BT4 Final use up when it installs onto a drive? The iso is only 1.5GB and yet it looks like it's taking up 6.2GB on the drive.

second- When I'm deleting stuff off of an external, does BT copy it locally onto the system drive in order to delete it? If that's the case, it would explain the first question. Which then I would need to know where it is copied to, so I can go free up that space.

Default Re: Space required?

I would recommend about 20GB for a Backtrack install, 15GB if room is tight. My install is currently using 9.1 GB and I really don't have anything extra on there. You've got to account for temporary files, word lists you may want to download, new programs, updates to existing programs, etc...

As for your second question, you get to do the research on that one yourself. Google is as always your friend.
    Computer security is a temporary condition.

Just burned his ISO

Really? A compressed file can be extracted that much? I always thought that when you compress a file (or group of files) the ratio is pretty low, not 4:1. I guess iso's are awesome. No wonder Quorra was one.

As for specifying 15GB, it's a little late now, no? I've heard that it's not wise to change partitions once OS' are installed on both.

...as for google, searching for this only pointed me at temp files from installing packages, how to delete backtrack, windows temp, and mododl.com (that site is annoying). Nothing about how backtrack handles files as they're being deleted off of external hard drives.

I love google, but the bing commercials are right. Though bing isn't better...
    Last edited by sickness; 01-29-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Well you can always do a quick reinstall or just resize the partition. You should be able to use gparted to do this although I may be wrong, haven't actually attempted this.

And you really couldn't find anything on Google? Did you search for backtrack specifically or did you search for how KDE handled things? *sigh* The short answer is yes, Backtrack keeps a copy of the file on your hard drive when you delete something, be it from an external or local source. You can find this under Konqueror -> Trash.
    Computer security is a temporary condition.